Sunday, December 12, 2010

Meal of a lifetime..

We finally did it. We went to MASA and busted our wallets. My very first experience with a Michelin 3-star restaurant, and probably my last too, especially after the damage incurred. Whether if it's actually worth it, I'm not too sure, but the experience was definitely once in a life time and of course, the company was awesome.

There was no fixed menu in the restaurant and the chef would serve whatever he wants (probably dependent on the availability of the ingredients). It was a 8-course omakase dinner (that was somewhat similar to Sushi-O-Gari), except that this has officially overtaken the price significantly (it was more than 3 fold!).

Anyway, it was also the first time in my life trying a list of super expensive and exotic food.
1. Caviar
2. White Truffles
3. Black Truffles-Good stuff, seriously
4. Fugu (yes, it's pufferfish) and thankfully still alive to tell the tale
5. Wagyu beef (that was heavenly~)
6. Tuna belly (toro)

Slight disappointment that the foie gras didn't make it to the list (but again, we had our fill at Sushi-O-Gari). A couple of the courses were also garnished with gold flakes as well. How extravagant! A lot of the dishes were also topped with yuzu sauce and had a pretty good aftertaste (though I did get kinda sick of it after a while).

Honestly, despite the impressive list of food that we had, it didn't feel like it was worth the amount of money we paid. While the food was good and ridiculously fresh, it was nothing as orgasmic as what we had at Sushi-O-Gari. The service wasn't astronomical either (it didn't suck, nor was it drop dead good) despite only having a handful of guests to serve. Each sitting had about 16 guests and we were sitted on wooden tables that reminded me greatly of Ikea. (okay, I'm being mean. But again, my table was wobbling slightly.) There was quite an intimidating air when we entered the restaurant and we were told that the chef requested that we turned off our cell phones and to excuse ourselves when we need to answer the phone. (This is kinda dumb. I mean, our group was making quite alot of noise just by our basic conversations already, so what difference does answering a call make?) Another unfortunate part was that they didn't allow photographs and that was really a damper as we were all equipped to take pictures of food that we were probably gonna taste only once. Well, I guess they do need protect the privacy of their dishes.

While I don't regret my experience, I'm pretty sure we won't be doing it again and probably won't recommend to our friends as well, unless the joker has too much money to spare. Nonetheless, I'm glad we did it and we enjoyed it while it lasted. (Which was until the bill arrived..)

No comments: