Friday, December 3, 2010

Ugly New York..

Well, as much as I like NYC, it really isn't as glam a place as it's set out to be. At least not with the tons of ugly and rude New yorkers around here. For the 10 months since I've been here, I've been told off a dozen times for things that I didn't do on purpose. And it really sucks.

Incident 1:
I went to the supermarket near our apartment for the first time. After shopping, I placed the basket of items on the checkout counter and waited for the cashier to scan my items. Sounds right doesn't it? Apparently not. The cashier, with the rudest and worst attitude ever, told me off bluntly, saying that I should have taken the items out and place them individually on the checkout counter and stow the basket away (anywhere else except the checkout counter...) What the... Worst of all, just because of this practice, there were baskets and trolleys parked everywhere, making the checkout lanes a mess. Geesh, how dumb.

Incident 2:
I was walking Sam and crossing the cyclist track that has a sign "Yield to Pedestrian". At first glance, it seemed clear, thus I went ahead and crossed, not realizing that a cyclist had came out of nowhere (travelling in uber speed). Of course, he swayed and avoided me (thankfully) but without forgetting to shout at me rudely first, asking me to watch where I was going! WHat the...

Incident 3:
I bought a new tote bag that I loooove to ferry Sam around. Well, I wanted a bag with an opening so that Little Sam could pop his head out to see see look look. Anyway, since the day I bought it, I've taken the bus and subway umpteen times without any issues. Until this fateful day. I was about to board the bus and the driver pointed at me and waved a 'No' action. I was confused but tried to board the bus anyway. She shouted at me, rudely AGAIN, saying that the bag isn't enclosed and thus I wasn't allowed. (Sigh, you gotta be kidding me!) So, LL. I ended up walking about 5 avenues to get home instead.

Incident 4:
I was just walking along the pathway and texting to Zim. Apparently, the pathway was doubled as an entrance into the petrol kiosk and a cab was turning into it. I did see the cab but just walked anyway. Come on, it's a pathway for pedestrians, so, don't I have the right of way? He actually honked me and scolded me for crossing. What the...

Incident 5:
I was walking (again~) and there was an idiot who left his coffee cup on the floor while he was trying to light his cigarette. The pathway was pretty big and he just had to leave the cup in the middle of nowhere. I mean, if he was any brighter, he should have placed it near the wall. (But again, I would never had left my cup on the filthy NYC streets.) I did see it but just ended up walking a tad bit closer to his cup than he would liked and he shouted loudly (This one was really loud though I was no more 3 arms length from where he was standing.) asking me to WATCH OUT! Arrrrrgggh.. Well, I actually shouted back this time round, as his rudeness was totally uncalled for (but again, so were many others).

Incident 6:
A wheelbound passenger was trying to board the bus that I wanted to board. So I stood back and waited (it took a pretty long while..and I was freeezing in the cold). When the guy got up and the ramp had retreated, I simply hopped on the bus. The bus driver SCREAMED at me infront of everyone saying that I shouldn't have boarded when he wasn't ready, blah blah blah. I was pretty stunned. I mean, apparently, I was supposed to wait for him to get out of his seat and buckle the guy up before I was 'allowed' to board the bus. O-K-A-Y. I'm sorry I didn't know the protocol or SOP for 'Waiting for a wheelchair bound person to board', but the screaming was really uncalled for.

Sigh. This incidents were just off a few that I could remember (and yes, I don't forget easily...) and there were many more. I mean I don't think Singaporeans are any more polite, but at least they ain't rude. They don't go around snapping and shouting at people like that. Yes, there were moments that I got pissed off and what not, but still, most of the incidents could have been resolved by just answering nicely. Best of all, several of the incidents were with service providers. Dude, where's your service standards? Oh wait, I am in NYC, there's NO service standards.

Now KeY isn't gonna be the pushover no more. I'm going to start to act like a New Yorker and no way am I gonna get bullied again. Watch out people, I AM going to retaliate the next time you step on my toes...

Watch out, I mean it...

No comments: