Monday, September 12, 2011

Secured, not..

Zim, Sam, I and a friend that was bunking over were watching TV in the living room at around 1 am last night when we heard someone opening our door. Initially, I kinda thought that it was our neighbor who just came home and didn't think much of it (well, NYC walls ain't that thick to begin with). However, Sam literally jumped up from his sleep and ran barking at the door. Zim got up to find that a rather attractive and confused looking couple (and possibly drunk as well) had actually opened the door with their keys. In the confusion, they mentioned that they supposed to be going to apartment XX (our exact unit). We were shocked and being sure that we did pay our rent and that we were probably not evicted, we chased them away and called the doorman. Apparently, we were told that they were supposed to be in the same unit in the opposite tower and came to our doorstep by accident.

The truth is, we weren't exactly convinced. Firstly, even if they were in the same exact unit, their keys shouldn't be able to open our door. Secondly, after complaining to the management, they did reset our electronic lock, as a result, I was locked out of my apartment as my key wouldn't work. (I would have really appreciated it if they had kinda informed me that they were doing that, so I would at least be more prepared..) I went to the doorman and asked if I could use the spare key that they had kept to open my door. It turned out that I didn't have a spare key. (Missing or never there? I wouldn't know..)

Well, while we won't know the exact truth behind the situation (and the management has pretty much zero incentive to tell us the 'real truth' if any), I was really freaked out by the whole incident. Since then, I jump every time someone opens their doors thinking that a stranger might have entered my apartment 'by accident' again. The sense of security that I used to have is gone. I'm honestly a little worried about leaving our apartment empty in future or to be home alone when Zim is travelling. The only consolation, at least I've a scardy little dog that would probably give me some warning and with a thin stroke of luck, scare the intruder away. So much for security in a high rise doorman building huh.

Sigh, really wishing that my lease would end soon so that we could move..

No comments: