Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Cat-sitting..

I've finally expanded my horizons and tried cat sitting. While cats are almost as adorable as dogs, I hadn't actually had the opportunity to interact with anyone of them closely. (Partly because, with cats, come lizards. Or rather, dead lizards they treat as toys.) However, when one of my friends had to go out of town, I jumped at the opportunity and volunteered to cat-sit. Why not? Especially since there are NO lizards in NYC.

It wasn't all that difficult as all I had to do was to swing by once a day to clear the litter box and replenish his food bowl. But I decided to be a little more adventurous and approach the cat on the 2nd day. Mr Weasel was comfortably hiding in the closet as he wasn't at all familiar with me. As I read that cats really enjoy having their cheeks stroked, I tried that on him for about 10 minutes before heading off.

When I returned the next day, I was pleasantly surprised that Mr Weasel actually came out and greeted me! Guess he did enjoy the massage I gave him. I eventually started playing with him whenever I visited for the next couple of days (especially since he would come out of hiding just to get a massage). He was a real cutie I have to say. The only downside was, his method of play involved mouthing and scratching with his claws. (Yap, a slight ouch.)

All in all, it was a pretty good experience and I had come to realise how easy it is to own cats. They are so low maintenance, unlike the stupid four-legged creature I have at home (yes, aka SAM). But still, I'm definitely a dog person and going to focus on getting a second dog and not a first cat.

Anyway, here's Mr Weasel. Cute huh?

No comments: