Someone asked me this question on last friday....
"what is your goal in life?"
I... I... didn't know.. I really didn't...
Amazingly, this question stuck and kept me pondering for the past 2 days. (and it's killing me~) I stopped to wonder what I want to achieve in life, and I really couldn't answer it. I went around asking people what their life goals are and received an interesting range of answers: from travelling around and helping people, wanting to serve the public, become a policy consultant, serve God, to living a happy and contented life. (I am proud of you, my amazing friends) But still, I was not satisfied. Knowing what others want did not help me find out what I want, instead, it motivated me to think, reflect on what I really want in my life...
I always thought my goal was to settle down with Z, get our dream home and start a little (not literally possible) family. But after speaking to others, I realised how insignificant and boring my goal in life was... I want something more... more exciting, more rewarding.. something that I should achieve while I am still young. And one day, when I'm old and dying, be able to look back in my life with pride to have lived life....
And maybe one day, I'll fall back on my initial goal and do start a life with Z. But for now... I want something more...
I want a set of goals that are operationalizable. A set of goals that are achievable and measurable. (seems like social work research methods are taking a toll on me) I want goals that I can work towards and when I achieve it, I want to experience a strong sense of accomplishment. I want to stand somewhere, someday and be able to tell myself :"KeYing, you have done it..." I want a list of goals that I can achieve, on my own, for myself. To be motivated to work towards it... and eventually, fufil my purpose in life....
Finally, after much reflection and thinking... (sigh, it's been long since I worked my brain this hard)
This is what I [really] want to accomplish before I reach 30....
1. Spent one year of my life in Europe...
2. Complete my masters in USA
3. Visit Kenya (be it on a holiday or as part of a humanitarian project)
4. Help someone....(witness a miracle? Am I being too greedy?)
And of cos, my little dream of my life with Z.
Honestly, I'm doubtful on how much I can do, or rather, how much I am able to push myself to achieve. But I want to try... a small step a time... and someday, I will be able to tell you, my dear friend, that I've accomplished these...
Till then, give me your support and have faith in me...
Maybe today, you can sit down and ask yourself this: "What is your goal(s) in life?"
1 comment:
Well written article.
Post a Comment