Friday, February 16, 2007

Read-ing

How a book affects you depends alot on your maturity level or mindset when reading it. When you are young and ignorant, reading a philosophical book could be nothing more than pure entertainment or boredom... On the contrary, when you have experienced life (or similiar situations as the author), each and every sentence in the book could touch you in an unexpected way. That's exactly how I felt for "tuesdays with morrie"..

I first read it when I was in J2... Honestly, I didn't like it the least.. felt that it was boring and nothing more, despite the constant praises (from people around me) about how inspiring and touching the book was... I was more than eager to get rid of the book and was confident that I would probably never touch it again...

Unexpectedly, it became a book that was needed for one of my modules' class discussion... Being the guai ('erm') student I always have been, I decided to give the book another try.

I was amazed by how different it felt, reading the book again. The same book, yet at a different time, made such a huge difference. Each sentence, each session with Morrie was so inspiring and close to my heart thatI actually found myself, looking up from the book, after each chapter, reflecting on my life and consciously reflecting on my feelings and what I've done... I guess, having gone through death of a friend and having been through several struggles in life, allowed me to appreciate the book thoroughly.

Too many parts touched my heart that erm, (and I am rather ashamed to say this) that I can't remember most of it... but somehow I am confident that I would readily whip up that book and read it again and again each time I feel lost, confused or lousy about myself..

Yet, a sentence that I'll always remember... "Death ends a life, not a relationship"...

Some books deserve a second chance..

No comments: