Thursday, November 17, 2011

Professional VS DIY..

I recently took a liking of having wall art and bought two pieces that I wanted on my wall - the Izak Zenou's Henri Bendrel drawing and the Christina Strain's drawing I got at comic con. The next step was to get them framed. Annoyingly, both pieces were of awkard sizes, making it horribly tough to find frames and matting that fit to a T. I wanted to get both pieces professionally framed. However, after a quick research, I came to learn that framing is ridiculously expensive (usually cost more than the drawing itself. duh right?). Hence, I decided to frame one of the two (the more expensive one of course) and DIY the other myself.

I made a quick trip to Michaels' and found a matting board and a frame.
The original drawing..
A good 20 minutes and USD40 later. Unfortunately, the matting board did not fit ideally and
showed only 1/10 the autograph on the bottom right corner. Pity as this was the best fit I could find.Meanwhile, 10 days and USD200 (+USD15 for transport. -_-) later, I received the professionally framed drawing that clearly showed the autograph and nicely cut matt.
What you pay is what you get. While the photos above looked pretty similar, the difference in the quality was quite drastic. The cheap frame from Michaels' was pretty much falling apart while I was putting it together. The ill fit also showed. In contrast, the frame from the framing shop was sturdy and looked/felt good. Most importantly, it fit to a T.

Having wall art is such a chore. Oh well, at least they both look good on the wall!

2 comments:

Yilin said...

Get them framed in Singapore! The quality is really good and it is significantly (50% or more) cheaper.

KeY said...

Dang.. Lesson learnt! Thanks for the tip!