Friday, May 14, 2010

Visit to the Vet

The last visit to the vet with Sam was rather disturbing for me and Zim. (Well, nope, it had nothing to do with Sam. He's just there for another stool test due to his never ending diarrhea. Yes, it's back AGAIN!) This time, I got smart. I did tons of research and found a cheaper vet (it cost half as much!) that was located inside an animal shelter.

Here's what happened: We met a lady in the lift carrying a pet carrier box. Out of curiosity, I asked if she had a puppy in it. She mentioned that it was a kitten that she had just for a night. She added that the kitten had have seizures the whole night and she wasn't able to handle it. Well, when she said that, she looked really worried and frantic. In my mind, I was like, "oh dear, no wonder you rushed to the Vet so early in the morning."

It turned out to be a whole different story when we reached the reception. I was filling out the registration form while eavesdropping to her conversation with the receptionist. It appeared that the lady had NO intentions of bringing the sick kitten to the vet. She was here to drop off the kitten as she couldn't handle it. (OMFG.) She explained that she bought the kitten from a friend the night before and she was completely freaked out by the occurrence of the seizures and thus concluded that she did not want the kitten anymore. Not one time did she even mention about getting vet care for the kitten.

Zim and myself were pretty upset after hearing this. Shouldn't the priority for any owner of a sick animal be getting the right medical treatment for the animal asap? I really couldn't believe that all she wanted was to push the poor kitten away. Well, apparently, the vet did not accept drop off. The owner indicated that she would then return the kitten to her friend and would not pursue to get her money back either. Still no mention of Vet care!

Sigh, I can't believe that people like this even exist. I know vet care isn't exactly cheap in NYC, but if it means saving the life of a young kitten, it's definitely worth it. I guess it's not a bad thing that she chose to give up the kitten anyway. Hopefully, she would stay away from all animals in future.

Oops, I'm being to sound more and more like an animal activist! =P

No comments: