Friday, August 26, 2011

Twenty-Seven..

I finally turned 27 and yes, am officially in my late twenties -_-. It was another quiet affair, just the two of us and it began at my favourite NYC restaurant - Eleven Madison Park!

We were initially unable to get reservations (well, we only started booking 4 days in advance) and Mr Lim had to explain that it was for my birthday and that it is my favourite restaurant (Both facts are true!). We ended up on the waitlist and I was pretty disappointed that by thursday morning, there was still no news. Eventually, I was over the moon upon learning that they managed to squeeze us in! (Hooray!!)

I was expecting a simple lunch but was really surprised by the excellent service provided. It started when I was greeted at the door by name and led to a table with a hand-written birthday card for me! What a great personal touch!


The menu is really interesting and you could choose any 3 or 4 items from 12 choices depending on the number of courses you want. Hee, my selection was Tuna, Lobster, Beef and Berry! Zim's selection was Octopus, Lobster, Beef and Chocolate!

After placing our orders, we were served with a selection of amuses bouche! Our lunch started with a little dish of perfectly baked, cheesy gougéres that I could not stop munching on.

Tomato basil soup that was so refreshing and appetizing. While Zim found the taste a tad bit overwhelming, I simply loved it!

Smoked sturgeon sabayon with chive oil! I swear I licked the eggshell clean!

Just when we thought we would be served our first course, the service director came up to us and invited us for a kitchen tour. While she explained the functions of each section of the kitchen and how it is run, a gin cocktail was being prepared. What an experience!

My first course - Tuna:

Zim's first course - Squid:

2nd Course - Lobster:

3rd Course - Beef:

A palate cleanser - Egg white whipped cream using vanilla malt syrup and a drop of olive oil, with poppy seeds and seltzer. Well, it has a really interesting taste... Not quite sure if I'm a fan of it, but the afterall taste was really nice and light.

My dessert course - Berries! And they were really sweet to add a candle for the birthday girl!

Zim's dessert - Chocolate:

Just when we thought we were finally done with the meal, we were served mignardises that included my favourite macaroon! I was also given a box of desserts to go as a final birthday present.

And finally, the check arrives! I kept it as a souvenir as it has my birthdate written on it!

All in all, a very happy me...

A not-so-happy Zim, especially after footing the bill.

A happy us!
I'm so in love with the restaurant service, ambience and food that I would absolutely love to come back again. (Well, maybe not so frequently, especially after the damage.) Sigh, a little part of me kinda wished that this was the place Zim proposed at. *Ideas for singles out that!*

So, after the damage done at lunch, I settled for a homely and simple dinner - Japanese take out from my favourite restaurant - Oyishi Sushi! Well, I wanted a place where I could enjoy dinner with Sam, and since Irene was close, we decided to stay home and enjoy a simple take out!

Yummy chicken terriyaki!!

Happy Mummy with little Sammy..

Of course Sam was happy... he got to enjoy some yummy chicken too!

A happy us again!

Guess that's it! Last but not least, Happy birthday to me!

No comments: