Zim, Lil Sam and I were just enjoying a lovely Saturday brunch at an outdoor diner that we frequent when the little boy got attacked.
As per usual, Sam was just lazing under the table minding his own business while we engaged in our own conversation. Suddenly a lady behind me starting screaming. Almost immediately, I heard Sam yelping (Definitely the loudest I ever heard from him). When I turned around, I was shocked to see poor little Sam in the mouth of a much bigger dog (Probably a chow mix). The little boy was yelping and struggling to get out. I reacted as quickly as I could and pulled Sam out of the dog's mouth. Even after Sam was out of the dog's mouth, he continued yelping for a couple more minutes while recovering from the shock. By then, everyone at the diner was staring at us. While Sam was struggling to get out of the dog's mouth, all the owner did was to hold on to the leash and screamed. She did absolutely nothing to separate her dog and I had to pull Sam out of danger myself. Luckily, the bigger dog wasn't all that aggressive as I got away without any bites. The poor little boy had blood stains on his snout and body and he even peed on himself out of fear. (Totally heartbreaking.)
I guess I was never the confrontational kind of person and all Zim and I wanted was to make sure that Sam was fine. We ignored the lady and started examining Sam. At the point of time, several patrons and the waiter had stepped in to reprimand the lady for not controlling her dog. (And of course, being the ever 'reasonable' person, she insisted that it wasn't her fault and she didn't see our dog there.) They insisted that she left her contact details for us in case we needed to bring Sam to the vet, which of course she didn't. (We didn't bother insisting either) Best of all, she still wanted to have her brunch there. Fortunately, the waiter who was clearly annoyed, spoke up for us and chased her away. Frustrated, I just gave her a dirty look and asked her to leave. (Which she did of course).
After checking Sam out, we weren't able to find any puncture wounds on him. Thus, we concluded that the feisty little boy bit the bigger dog in self defense. (Way to go SAMMY BOY!) Interestingly, after Sam recovered from his initial shock, he immediately started growling and barking at the bigger dog. (Though his bark was pretty pathetic in comparison.) While this isn't the first time Sam got attacked (The first incident was pretty mild compared to this) nor the first dog fight I had witnessed, this is the first time that I have seen an attack that had happened without any triggers. It just felt as if the dog came in, saw Sam and attacked Sam. As far as I was aware, Sam didn't appear to have done anything that might have triggered the attack.
While I did not blame the big dog about the attack (since Sam came out unharmed), I really pitied the owner who was in such denial about her inability to control her dog or to admit her problems. I would think that it's pretty scary to be walking around with a ticking time bomb that is way beyond your control who is ready to jump on any dog any time. Maybe she would be better off having a smaller dog that she could at least attempt to pull back.
Well, at least Sam is fine and it seemed that the incident left no scars on him since he returned to his pesty ways soon after. But it was really heartbreaking seeing the little guy being attacked. What a World~
No comments:
Post a Comment