Friday, June 1, 2012

Another DIY Project - stickers and magnets!

I was inspired by the dog silhouette stickers and stationary by Fire Hydrant Press on etsy and was extremely tempted to purchase a couple. 



(source: FireHydrantPress)

I was real close to purchasing them when I mentioned to Mr Lim. As usual, he wasn't exactly supportive (which I understand as they weren't that cheap). Interestingly, he suggested that we should try to make it ourselves since he had previously purchased some sticker paper (for his boardgaming stuff). I figured, why not? And here we go...

I browsed through all Sam's photographs and found one that was most suitable for his silhouette. 


After a lot of trial and error (well, I'm really NOT savvy with Gimp) and a couple of arguments between the husband and wife, we finally figured out how to trace out his silhouette. Well, it doesn't look fantastically like him, but I thought that we did a pretty decent job highlighting his distinctive tail and capturing his hunting posture. I know that the mouth is a little off, but I HACK CARE! LOL, I was quite frustrated and annoyed by this point and thought that this was good enough. -_-


We finalized the silhouette template and that was when the real fun started! I mixed and matched colors and did some individual designs to achieve this!


A little close up. We thought that it would be kinda cute to put Sam's full name!


Once we were done, we went ahead to print the template onto actual sticker and magnet paper. We even tried printing it on decal paper but unfortunately, the decal paper melted in our Laser printer! Yap, there goes the laser printer! (Sigh, on hindsight, it was probably cheaper to just purchase the actual sticker from etsy! What an irony~) BUT, we were not discouraged, we purchased a much cheaper ink jet and resumed our project! 

Sam doing a QC for the final product.


He was guarding the newly printed stickers from my itchy and anxious fingers.


After checking through thoroughly, the dog approves. 


I thought I was done with the project! However, I realised that the stickers and magnets were not water proof! Hence, I went ahead and purchased some self-adhesive laminating stickers to add a protective layer and to give them a glossy finish.

After ALOT of cutting and pasting, here's Sam with one of the end products!


Proof of my hard work!


Guess where the stickers went: Sam's personal items! 

1. His water bottle!

 

2. His poop bag dispenser!



Meanwhile, the magnets went on to join our already Sam-populated fridge!



While the items were no way near as nice and professionally done as the ones available on etsy, I was really happy with the end products! My next step is to go ahead and purchase dies for my cuttlebug so that I don't have to manually cut the stickers and they would have neater edges! Meanwhile, I'm just so pleased and proud of myself!

Job well done!

No comments: