Thursday, February 3, 2011

My independent little man...

As much as I adore Sam, he's possibly the one rare dog that is not at all cuddly. Unlike most dogs who would love to crawl up to your lap for a good rub, Sammy would rather sit at the other end of the room and glance at you with the corner of his eyes. 犯贱的我 is usually the one crawling up to him to disturb him (especially during commercial breaks). At the dog park, when owners leave their dogs behind, the dogs would start staring out of the gate and waiting for the owners to return. Sam? He would just give me a quick glance and go right back to his games. Even when I return, I pretty much still don't exist in his eyes when there are other distractions. Sad huh? But again, this is really characteristic of terriers, who are supposedly more independent to begin with. (Okay, that probably also explains why he doesn't do recall well at all.)

We left the little man at his usual daycare for the whole duration of our Singapore trip. When we picked him up, the lady at the daycare was full of praises of how wonderful Sam was. She commented that Sam was super independent and did not cry or whine at night. Even in the day, he would just play as much as he wanted and when he was tired, he would head to a small little corner to sleep on his own. When I heard that, my whole heart just ached. He sounded like a poor little kid that had no parents to care for him and he's just left to fend and mind his own stuff. T_T Sigh, how I wished I could have been there to give him a little pat when he's trying to cuddle into a ball to sleep or maybe even a little kiss, or to greet him when I wake up in the morning. (To compensate, Sammy boy got to sleep on the bed for the next couple of days.)

Sigh, as much as I appreciate his independence, I do kinda wish that the little man would be a tad bit dependent on me...

No comments: