Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Back Pain... (Part 2)

I was tempted to skip the consultation today. Well, after all, most of the pain went away over the weekend. (at least I was able to bend to wear my socks.) After thinking about how much more naggng I am going get from Mr Lim and my mom, I decided to go ahead with it.

Headed over to NUH and waited almost 1/2 hour for a parking space. -_-" (It's time for NUH to expand their carpark.) Best of all, I chose the wrong carpark and ended up having to walk a good 10 mins to get to the correct clinic and of course, I was already late for my appointment. Since I was afterall referred from GP, I ended up paying private rate and didn't have to wait more than 10 mins before my turn. (Sigh, $$ does help, doesn't it..)

The consultant was pretty cute and really nice. Did some routine checks and then, dropped the bomb on me. He suspected that it might be a slipped disc. (0_0).. and recommended for me to go for an MRI. He went on to explain about the condition and added that I should avoid strenuous physical exercise (My heart sank~ no bball?!) and that he will be referring me to his colleague who is the spine specialist (My heart sank again.. no more cute doctor?!)..

Sigh... what a day.. While I was waiting for the nurse to fix up an appointment for me to do my MRI, I wasn't very worried about my condition, more concerned if it means that I need to retire from Bball. Nooooooooooo...

Anyway, NUH's next slot for MRI was in August and Paragon's was tmr morning (Can't afford so much time off from work la.. ), so I settled for MRI at Raffles Hospital (Again..). The nurse briefly explained the procedure and highlighted the cost. A MRI cost $750 w/o GST. (My heart sank for the 3rd time.. wtf~~). Thank god for insurance...

MRI was a pretty unique experience. It probably most resembled lying in a white lit coffin that was buried in a construction site. Really noisy and cramp, and of course, my size didn't help. LOL. While, I'm sure glad I ain't that claustrophobic and even managed to fall asleep amidst the loud banging and bright light. Anyway, the report was out within an hour (Really cool, came in the format of a CD and three X-ray films with 16 scans on each film. I'll definitely keep it for keepsake. =P) and while I did not quite understand the terms used (Do doctors speak english?), it appeared that I might not have had a slipped disc afterall (phew~), more of a Degenerative Disc Disease.

Of course, I went back to google again and found that the symptoms was amazingly accurate. Things like severe pain that comes and goes and pain that goes away when I'm doing sports (does it mean I can continue to play ball?) were exactly what I have been experiencing.

Sigh, nonetheless, guess I will just have to wait till the next appointment with the consultant before I can get any conclusion.

=/

Bball this friday?

No comments: