Thursday, March 13, 2008

Doctors...

Came down with a bad cough 2 weeks ago and decided to pop by a doctor on a sunday night (9pm) to get some cough syrup to tide me through the week. Went to the only doctor available near by. The usual doctor wasn't around and so we ended up seeing another doctor I did not recognize. The doctor spoke barely 3 words to me, just listened to my breathing and checked my throat, before waving me out of the room. I was stunned and pissed. Not only did he not ask me any questions, he didn't even make an effort to explain to me what's wrong with me. Best of all, this trip to the 'silent' doctor cost me a whooping $68!

Nevermind. Took his medicine and expectedly, i didn't quite get better. Though my day-time coughing almost went away, I was cursed with an hour to two terrible coughing routine every night. Went through every night coughing as if my lungs were going to burst. Finished his antibiotics, yet the night coughing persisted. By the end of the week, while my night coughing went away, I was down with a choking cough - choked on my mucus each time I cough. Sometimes choking so badly that I would start wheezing and my whole face would go red....

After procrastinating for a couple of days, I figured that it's about time I visit another doc, 'lest I choke to death on my own mucus. Trip 2 to an another doctor. Slightly better I would say. At least she did make an effort to make sense to me of what's happening. Gave me another bottle of cough syrup (no antibiotics this time round), some flu pills and an MC (which she was initially a little unwilling to give =P). Cost me $29.90, which I felt was reasonable.

Decided to make use of the MC though I wasn't that ill anyway. Retribution I would say. Not only didn't her medicine make me better, I woke up feeling even worst, totally lethargic. Kept choking and coughing throughout the morning. Even ended up vomiting my mucus out (okay, not meaning to gross u out). Slept my whole afternoon away, occasionally waking myself up by coughing. After a whole day of trying her medicine, I wasn't getting any better. Hence, I decided to visit one more doctor.

Went back to the clinic I went the first day, hoping that it is the usual Doctor that I always see. Turned out that it's still the 'silent' doctor. WIthout even bothering, I walked out of the clinic and headed to another clinic which kept me waiting for almost 1 hour and a half. But honestly, it was definitely worth the wait. At least this doctor made an effort to explain every thing to me, tried her best to answer our questions. While, my lungs aren't blocked, I was choking probably due to my nose and throat infection (which could be due to the cough I had earlier), so she decided to prescribe me medicine to tackle my infection. She gave me a chunk of medicine and an MC and told me to have ample rest. (sounds so good...LOL) oh ya, and it only costs $32!

Woke up feeling much better and my choking coughs went down significantly. ^_^

Felt quite irritated by the fact that we are often at the mercy of 'lousy' doctors - Doctors who don't make an effort to make you feel better. Feels as if I was begging the first doctor to give me my medicine, when all I really wanted was just to feel better. It also angered me that he didn't even make an effort to explain to me what's wrong. Yet he still has the guts to charge me so expensively! Asshole. I also wished that the 2nd doctor would give me prescriptions that cure the root of my illness, not just the symptoms. At least that would save me a second trip to another doctor just to get the right medicine. Maybe the medical board needs to do more QC before allowing any tom dick or harry doctors to start up their own clinics.

Anyway, a really bad experience with doctors for the past two weeks. Ended up spending $100+ just for a cough! wtf..

I'm starting to lose some confidence in some of them. Think I will be a faithful visitor of the last doctor from now on...

Feeling sleepy again... I hate cough syrup! -_-

No comments: